Tour Map (Henry County Driving Tour)
1 City of Napoleon, platted 1834, County Seat in 1835
Henry County Courthouse & Jail, about 1882
SE Corner of Washington and Perry Streets.
French Empire style, on the National Register of Historic Places.
St. Augustine Roman Catholic Church, about 1883
SE Corner of Clinton and Monroe Streets
Gothic Revival style, German stained glass & altar, National Register
M Dr. John Bloomfield Home, about 1896
Corner of Weber and W. Clinton Streets, Napoleon, OH
Site of the Henry County Historical Society Victorian Home
Scott Mansion, about 1896
NW Corner of Haley and Clinton Streets
Home of 68th Regiment General and former S. Carolina Governor.
2 St. Paul Lutheran Church and
Cemetery, about 1867
Corner of County Roads Q1 and 17
Bell tower and interior woodwork survives. Oldest Lutheran
congregation in Henry County due to a merger with Zion (1848).
Corner/Dog Town, about 1870
NE Corner of US 6 and County Road 17
Half-way housel Inn, site of first area Schuetzenfests. SW Corner
of “Hanover” area of county settled by German Immigrants.
Village of Ridgeville Corners, about 1839, Barton Palmer
4 First Congregational Meeting House, about 1860
Road X (Ridge Road) North of town center
Greek Revival style church, built by congregation started in 1845.
Ridgeville Methodist Church, about 1873
Road X (Ridge Road) South of town center
Wood frame church, school, Hatchery, Legion Hall & Grocery.
5 Village of Gerald, formed around 1892 by Attorney M. Donnelley
Between Route 108 and County Road 15 on Road U.
Formed during construction of D.T.&l. Gerald Grain Assoc., 1898
is the oldest remaining business.
6 Williams Farm, about 1835
County Road 10 between S and T (west side)
Early Greek Revival style house owned by Liberty
Center Civil War Captain William F. Williams.
7 Bonnell Corners (Whiteman Home and
School), about 1885
Corner of County Road 10 and V
French Empire style childhood home of Marjorie Whiteman--
teacher, lawyer, US. legal aid and friend of Eleanor Roosevelt.
8 Reed School (Robarb
Industries), about 1888
Corner of County Road 8 and V
Brick one-room school. Land in the mile to north was removed
by Henry Ford to build new D.T.& I RR and overpass to the west.
Village of Liberty Center, Founder Calvin Young, platted 1863
9 Beauty, OH Post Office/Wright
Farm, about 1847
324 W Maple St. (Intersection of County Road T and Kline)
Site of pre-railroad settlement which included a log school.
M Wabash Railroad Depot, about 1891
106 Damascus St
Italianate Combination Style station, lengthened in 1908.
Birthplace of Jud Arnett, about 1885
201 E. Maple St.
Vernacular T-Frame home of Detroit Free Press Writer.
10 Village of Colton (Washington
Station), platted 1855, J. Osborn
Post Office (1850s) and the Carpenter Gothic style United
Methodist Church (1870s) have housed the same uses to
11 Ottawa Hunting Reservation, 1807 - 1839
Angular tree-lined edge at SE corner of County Roads U and 2
Last visible evidence of large Indian Reservation boundary-- set
by the area a brave could encircle in one days journey.
12 Miami & Erie Canal Lock no.
10, about 1843
US 24 between 1 and 2B (river side)
Lock as re-worked in 1910. Last remaining lock in Henry County.
Canal first built by German & Irish Immigrants.
13 Village of Texas, platted 1845 by James Durbin
Canal-era Homes & Businesses still standing. Sandstone Bad
Creek Culvert (at Durbin Monument) allowed canal water (now
US 24) to flow over creek.
14 Edwards Oak, about 1836
US 24, between 4A and 6D (north side)
Sapling planted by Ottawa chief Oxinoxia at the Edwards farm
in honor of the birth of Martha Edwards-Showman.
15 E. Scribner
Homestead/Business, about 1846
NW Corner of US 24 and 6D
This home served as a canal inn, with doors at canal level still
visible today. First sawmill in Henry County was near this site.
16 Village of Damascus/ Prairie
Du Masque, pre-1740
SE and SW side of intersection of US 24 and State Route 109
Mascoutin and Ottawa village (both sides of river). Settled by
whites in early 1800s and served as first county seat.
17 Site of Annual 4H Camp, began in 1928
Intersection of Route 110 and Road 8 (creek/woods near Damascus Bridge)
This woodlot was used each year as a campground for members.
Fees in 1928 were $4.50/ week.
18 King Brothers Farms, about 1880
Near the corner of Road 5A and Route 110 (both sides)
Samuel and Levi King built similar Empire homes on adjoining
farms Brother Henry built likewise at 10 & T in Liberty Township.
19 Big Creek Schoolhouse/North Cemetery
- school post 1858
State Route 65 at Road P
Possibly first brick school in township run till 1909. Noteworthy
mausoleum at cemetery.
20 Village of McClure, platted 1880 by John McClure when RR built.
Intersection of Routes 6,65, and Toledo, Delphos & Burlington RR
Many historic storefronts and homes. The legion hall was built
around 1923, and was the first of its style to be built in Ohio.
21 Sharon Church and Gleaners Grange
Hall, about 1900
Intersection of Route 109 and P
The Hefflinger Farm at this corner was said to be the location of
the first Henry County Agricultural Fair around 1850.
22 Hoy (Shunk) Cemetery and Evangelical
Church, about 1850
North West Corner of Route 109 and Road 03
Civil War soldiers are buried in the cemetery. The church, 1885,
may have housed the oldest congregation in Harrison Township.
23 Village of Shunk, about 1845 by postmaster John Shunk
Intersection of Routes 109 and N2.
Village founder, David Hoy's Homestead, about 1857 and the first
Evangelical church, about 1860 still stand.
Henry County Fairgrounds, about 1853
Corner of Route 108 and 02
Contains a log cabin from the Hartman farm in Napoleon Twp.,
a one room parochial school house, and HeIler-AIIer windmill and
serves as a museum site for the county historical society.
Cole Cemetery & Girty’s Island, about 1790
SE Corner of Roads Z and 15
From the cemetery, see the island where Simon Girty hid during
the Indian War, and later became a Victorian amusement park.
St. Paul Lutheran Church & Cemetery, about 1863
Road K east of Route 108
Church and parsonage are much as when built in 1901.
Congregation began in the early 1850s in a one-room log school.
Village of Elery/Herrtown, about 1880
Road J between Roads 10 and 11
Founded on Nickel Plate Railroad between Holgate and Malinta.
Elery Supper Club originally served as one of several groceries.
Village of Malinta, named 1880 by postmaster J. Bensing for daughter
State Route 109 between Road K and L
This railroad boom town was the first of 30 interchange point
between the Nickel Plate and the D.T. & I. The 1885 Nickle Plate
The depot is now a museum with a D.T.& I. caboose.
Village of Grelton, founded in 1881 by Alexander Grelle
Intersection of Roads M and 7
Built due to the lumbering industry and RR location. Staves for
barrel making were produced. The Methodist Episcopal Church
was the site of first High School commencement in 1904.
Village of Westhope, created about 1840
Intersection of Route 65 and Road .1
The village town hall, and the Westhope Church, near Hope
School were built in the late 1800s.
Village of Deshler/Portage/Alma, Platted 1873 by John Deshler
Intersection of Route 18 and the B & O RR
Presidents Grant, Truman, Nixon, Reagan and Bush have
campaigned in this bustling railroad “corn city” via the train.
Depot and Dispatch Tower, about 191 5/1 931
At the crossroads of the Baltimore and Ohio Railways, Downtown Deshler
M Historical Museum Storefront, about 1910
117 West Main Street
One example of storefronts built during the last railroad boom.
Village of Hamler/Belton, platted about 1850 by John Hamler
Intersection of Routes 108 and 18 and the Baltimore & Ohio RR
Town Hall, about 1896
Downtown Hamler - grand two-story brick.
Marion Township School/Hamler HS, about 1880
First Street, Hamler, OH
High School graduates include a Pulitzer Prize winner and Jazz
musician Chip Davis (Mannheim Steamroller).
Marion Township Cemetery, about 1847
Noteworthy Marion Township residents interred include John
Hamler, founding father of Marion Township and Hamler village.
Village of Gallup, began in 1896 by Charles Garster
Road Y at intersection of the D.T.& I RR
Once a thriving hamlet, only 2 houses (one formerly a store) and a
hog feeding building still remain.
Village of Ridgeland & Cemetery, began in 1841 by S. Hashbarger
Road Y (Ridge Road)
Founded on an old Indian trail, George Edwards plotted out lots in
1863 intending to name the village Edwardsville.
Sacred Heart Church & Cemetery, About 1888
Road Y, two miles east of New Bavaria
Congregation formed in 1839, Romanesque style brick church
contains notable original interior decorations.
Village of New Bavaria, settled in 1840s, platted 1882
Intersection of Road Y and the Toledo, St. Louis arid Kansas City RR
Settled by Bavarians, and then later others immigrants. “Swary
home” is oldest in village, and “Rock Tavern” has original Bar.
Village of Pleasant Bend, about 1879
Intersection of Roads 17 and B
Jacob Fraker served as the first postmaster and general store
owner of this agricultural- based village.
Village of Holgate/Kaufmanville, platted in 1873 by W. Kaufman
Intersection of Routes 18 and 108, and the B & 0 and T.S. & K Railroads
Route 18 has been renamed through the village after hometown
Hollywood motion picture celebrity and Holgate son, Joe E. Brown.
City Hall, about 1890
Intersection of Kaufman and Wilhelm Streets
Multi-use brick towered structure housed the police, jail, fire dept.,
offices, and a second floor concert hail.
Grand Army of the Republic Cannon, about 1863
Intersection of Kaufman and Wilhelm Streets at the city hail
Forged in England and used at Fort Fisher during the Civil War.
Village of Standley, about 1873 during construction of the B&0.
Corner of Roads H and 19
The village name may originate from the fact that people wanting
train to stop would have to stand on the boardwalk.
Eis Log Home, about 1855
Corner of Roads 18 and H
Authentic log home on its original site and in the process of
restoration. Built by Jacob and Eva Eis.
41 Andrews Farm & Flour
Mill, about 1851
Road Z at the Florida Bridge
Farm and mill have remained in same family to this day.
Village of Florida/McLean, platted 1834 by William Bowen
US 424 at 1 7D on the Miami & Erie Canal
Courthouse/Jail/Trading Post, about 1830
US 424,104 West High Street
Used as “Indian” trading point, and county government center.
United Methodist Church, about 1871
401 West High Street
Frame structure built by a congregation began in 1828
Gunn Family Homestead & Cemetery/Girty’s Point
US 424 2.5 Miles east of Florida
Settled 1826 by Elijah Gunn. Revolutionary War Veterans interred.
Village of Okolona/Oakland, settled around the 1860s
Intersection of Roads N, 17D, and the Wabash Railroad
Settled on the railroad as a lumbering center for “oaks” found in
the area. One room school and several businesses still exist.
Camp Latty, about 1861
River Road (424) West of Glenwood Avenue (north side of road)
City of Napoleon
Training grounds of 68th Regiment (Henry Co. residents) during
the Civil War, led by General Robert K. Scott.