Monroe Township was organized as a geographical township in 1850, being detached from Harrison, to which it had previously belonged. The duplicate of 1851 shows only seven chattel taxpayers resident in the township.
Healthy growth of the township commenced with the construction of the Toledo, Delphos & Burlington Railroad, later known as the “Clover Leaf” route.
Monroe Township lands were flat, level, and wet; by 1888 considerable drainage was accomplished and three-fourths of the land was under cultivation. The main natural water course was the Turkey Foot Creek, with School Creek, Lost Creek, and Ash Creek adding their waters to it. The township had at that time well constructed roads on almost every section line, both north, south, east and west.
Three towns call Monroe Township their home. Herrtown, or Ellery, consisted of 17 lots, and there was a railway station, a post office, and a small store. It was plotted by Peter Ritter, Jan. 29, 1881. Grelton is located where the townships of Harrison, Damascus, Richfield and Monroe corner. It is also on the “Clover Leaf” route. It was laid out by Eli C. Clay, March 23, 1881. This hamlet had a schoolhouse, two dry goods stores, a meat market, restaurant, sawmill, hoop factory, stave factory, telegraph, and post office. It had a population of 300 to 350 persons. Malinta was the principal village in the township and was also on the “Clover Leaf” route. The population of Malinta at that time was between 400 and 450 persons. It had four dry goods stores, two saloons and restaurants, one saw mill, stave factory, tile and brick factory, picture gallery, blacksmith shops, shoemaker, railroad station, express telegraph, post office, and two churches, one Lutheran and one United Brethren. It was platted and laid out by John Bensing Sept. 21, 1880.
Much progress has been made in Monroe Township since that time. It is mainly an agricultural township.
Monroe Township maintains a fire department in Malinta, Ohio, consisting of approximately seventeen volunteer firemen.
The Henry County Landfill is located in the northern part of the township, being used by the entire county.
The population for Monroe Township in 1970 was 1,387.
Reprinted from Henry County, Ohio. A Collection of Historical Sketches and Family Histories Compiled by Members and Friends of The Henry County Historical Society, Volume I. Taylor Publishing Company, Dallas, TX, 1976.