The Nathaniel Hartman Log Home is located at the Henry County Fairgrounds south of Napoleon on State Route 108. Nathaniel Holcomb Hartman built the home between 1860 and 1866. It sat on County Road Z in Napoleon Township. Originally constructed as a two-story home, today the home has only one story with a loft due to its collapsed during the move to its present site at the Henry County Fairgrounds. The Historical Society decided to place the fireplace to the side of the house and to enlarge it to fit a space in the wall where some logs had been cut to install a large door. The home features an 1830s Shaker dining room table, 1870s pie-safe, and an original 1830 rope bed from the Showman-Edwards family.
History of the Nathaniel Hartman Log Home
(Written by: Genevieve Eicher, 1986 Secretary, Henry County Historical Society, revised 2017 by W. Taylor Moyer, 2017 Trustee, Henry County Historical Society)
Originally, the home sat in Section 26, Napoleon Township. The farm was part of the Ohio Canal Lands and was owned by the State of Ohio until 1848 when the state sold it to Seth Hopkins. In 1850 Daniel Fribley purchased the farm and in 1852 he sold it to Daniel Kelly who retained ownership until 1853. Addison Childs purchased it that year and re-sold it in 1856 to Joseph Ritter. In 1860 Nathaniel H. Hartman purchased the 120 acre farm from his father-in-law Joseph Ritter. Between 1860 and 1866 Nathaniel constructed the Hartman Log Home. Here Nathaniel his wife Lydia Ritter Hartman, and their son York Alton Hartman would live. During the American Civil War Nathaniel and his brother George, Richard, and Daniel served in the Union Army. Nathaniel served with the 163rd O.V.I. Nathaniel saw little combat during the war and served in the defense of Washington D.C.
After the war Nathaniel returned to the log home and his wife Lydia birthed a daughter Coral in 1870 inside the log home. Eventually the Hartman’s moved into a new home in the city of Napoleon and Nathaniel split the acreage and sold 80 acres to John Snyder in 1874. Snyder in 1877 sold Lydia Hartman 0.4 acres for road rights to her land along the Maumee River. In 1881 Snyder sold 100 acres to Henry Vajen. Samuel Hartman in 1881 sold 20 acres to Charles Belknap.
Donation of the Nathaniel Hartman Log Home
In 1971 Josephine and Harry Harmon donated the log home to the Henry County Historical Society. Josephine is a direct descendant of Henry Vajen and his wife, Katherine Schweibert Vajen. Henry’s son, Henry C. Vajen, was born in 1873 in Freedom Township and was married in 1901 to Caroline Genuit and their wedding was held in the log house on the Vajen farm. It is thought that the Vajen family lived in the log house until they built their brick house in 1909. That home still stands on county road Z.
Moving the Nathaniel Hartman Log Home
Although the home was donated in 1971 it was not moved until August 6, 1974 when Harmon Movers, Napoleon, moved it down County Road Z to Huddle Road and then to it’s present site on the Henry County fairgrounds. Prior to the November 1971 meeting of the Trustees of the Henry County Historical Society, the Commissioners of Henry County had given permission to put the home on a site selected by the Henry County Fair Board Directors. It was up to the Historical Society to surround the site with a fence and to keep up the structure. It was stressed that this was to be a temporary location and the home could be moved by the Historical Society at any time in the future. Although the home had been moved on August 6, 1974, it was placed on jacks and left waiting for work to start.
Object of the Restoration
The stated object of the project of restoration of the log house was to restore it as closely as possible to the era in which it was built; and to furnish the structure as authentically as possible.
On March 8, 1976 Mel Lanzer’s workmen began the task of putting the house on its foundation. The home was to be finished in time for the July 4, 1976 Bicentennial celebration at the fairgrounds. In late March, 1976 the workmen went to lunch and returned to find the log house collapsed and lying on the foundation in a heap. The Trustees of the Society met immediately and decided to re-build with the usable logs, to obtain more logs, and to construct a one-story log home with a loft. A rail fence was erected in May 1976 to mark the site line. A campaign for money to help pay for the fireplace brick was suggested under the title of “A Dollar a Brick” and the public was able to help in the home’s restoration. Curtains were donated for the windows. Shelves were built; and a bed that had belonged to the Palmerton family was given for home’s use. Evergreen trees were donated for the yard. Donations from members and the public have helped to furnish the cabin. Donation of other suitable items is always appreciated. The fireplace construction and the concrete floor make it possible for the fireplace to actually be used for cooking and heating. The home has been used as a meeting place for the Historical Society, for programs and special times such as the Henry County Fair living history re-enactments.
Many individuals and business firms have aided the Historical Society in restoring the log home and furnishing it. Each one is thanked for helping preserve Henry County history.
The Henry County Commissioners and the Henry County Fair Board Directors have aided much by their continued interest and support in the restoration of the Nathaniel Hartman Log Home and for providing a site for it. The Henry County Historical Society members are very appreciative of those who have helped so very much.
On June 10, 2018 the Nathaniel Hartman Log Home was rededicated with an official marker unveiled by Jospeh Ritter’s great-great-great Grandson Bill Hudson. The marker can be viewed on the front of the log home daily.
Image above: Re-enactors in front of the Nathaniel Hartman Log Home during the Henry County Fair, August 2017